Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Malnourished?

Lots of posts lately, and I still have birthday party stuff to post so forgive me. Anyway, I took Molly to her one year check-up and I felt like the worst mom ever. The doctor was very concerned about her weight. It was weird to hear because I am so used to people telling me how big and chubby she is, but she is shrinking. She weighed 18 lbs and 28'' long. Obviously she won't have a shot at being tall. The concern is that at 9 months she was 18 1/2 lbs and in the 50th percentile. She has dropped to the 8th percentile and lost a 1/2 lb. I swear I feed her look at the cheeks. He is going to keep a close eye on her and if she doesn't gain weight we will be seeing a nutritionist. I am trying so hard to get her to drink enough whole milk and I am feeding her high fat foods. She is already so picky that it makes it difficult. The doctor also said she has an ear infection. He said it looks like she has been suffering from it for a while but it is on the mend now. How do you tell if they have ear infections really? She has never had a fever and she is a happy, content baby, but to hear that she has been suffering and not growing made me feel so bad. It is my job to nurture and take care of her and her needs and feel I am failing. How will I ever take care of another?

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Megan, don't get down on yourself! You're a GREAT mom! And if it makes you feel any better, I've been hearing of other baby girls who haven't gained even one once between their 6-mo. and 9-mo. check-ups. I'm no pediatrician, so do follow his advice. Just saying that perhaps Molly's drop isn't as abnormal as you might think. Plus with her being tons more mobile now, don't you think she would start to trim down? I do.

Mama Bear said...

Don't forget Molly is a happy, healthy, social girl so that alone means you're not failing as a mom. The fact that you are concerned about what the doctor said also shows what a good mom you are. I know "moms" that don't even do that (wink, wink). My dr. tells me things that I don't always want to hear, but I figure it is their job to cover their butts and give you the worst case senario and such.

Goodrich said...

Megan- YOu are doing great. She is healthy, even with her being 18 lbs. Alex was the same way until about 18 months or more. Ammon well he hit 20 lbs at about a year and is now stuck at 28 lbs going on 3. Don't stress she is fine. Ear infections- ARGH!!! With Ammon I didn't notice him pulling on his ears, or a snotty nose- heavens he didn't have a fever. When I noticed was he wasn't sleeping at all, he would scream after about 2 hours of rest and wake and then I couldn't calm him. After three days his ear ruptured and that is when it finally hit me that he had an ear infection. Talk about a horrible mother, but I don't let it get me- you know it was that year when everything happened. DON'T STRESS!!! Everything will be fine. How are you feeling???

Brenna said...

I know LOTS of people who couldn't tell that their babies had ear infections. It's especially hard if their teething too and it seems like just regular teething symptoms. Don't worry about Molly's weight. Our pediatrician got us all worried about Caleb not wanting to stand; we took him to a specialist and he's fine. They always error on the side of caution:)

Trent and Kimberly Ewing said...

by the cheeks you couldn't tell she's losing weight! Ya Jackson my boy has had ear infections in both ears now for 2 weeks so we know how that goes. . . he just always pull his ears, but he does run a fever some nights. . . and I think you'll do great with 2!!